Ahmed Samy Ibrahim
Ahmed Samy Ahmed Ahmed Ibrahim. (Ph.D)
PostDoc. Scientist, Biotechnology unit, Reference Laboratory For Quality control in poultry production, Animal Health Research Institute, Agriculture Research Center, Cairo, Egypt.
Birth date: 04/08/1984 Mobile: 002-01068718705
Email: email@example.com Address: EL haram street – Giza – Egypt.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Microbiology and immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt. (2013). “Molecular detection of avian cytokines in response to infection and immunization with Egyptian highly pathogenic avian influenza (H5N1) classical and variant strain.”
- Master of Veterinary medical Science, Microbiology and immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Zagazig University, Egypt. (2010).” Incidence and rapid detection of Clostridium perfringens infection in broiler.”
- Bachelor of Veterinary Medical Sciences Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Zagazig University (Egypt) Final degree: Very Good with Honor. (2006).
Awards, Grants and Training:
- Postdoc. Scientist, Merit-based fellowship, Anses, VIPAC, France, Funded by MOHE (Ministry of Higher Education - Egypt) and Saint Brieuc town council - France. 2016-2017.
- Received the World Food Day award (FAO/Egyptian Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation), under title “Social Protection and Agriculture: Breaking the Cycle of Rural Poverty”, for my efforts in campaign raise avian influenza awareness in Egypt. December 2015
- Postdoc. fellowship, Merit-based fellowship, Anses, VIPAC, France, Funded by IFE (Institut Français d'Egypte) and STDF (Science & Technology Development Fund in Egypt) 2015-2016.
- Promoted to Researcher: Agriculture research center (ARC), Animal Health Research institute (AHRI), Reference Laboratory for veterinary quality control of poultry production (RLQP), Biotechnology Unit, Dokki, Giza, Egypt. 2014
- Ph.D. Short term scholarship, Merit-based scholarship, Influenza and Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, Japan. Funded by Partnership & Ownership Initiative (ParOwn). 2012-2013.
- Promoted to Researcher Assistant: ARC, AHRI, RLQP, Biotechnology Unit, Egypt.
- Molecular diagnosis and characterization of of avian influenza, Friedrich Loeffler Institute, O.I.E and national laboratory for Avian Influenza, Südufer , Germany. In the frame of an OIE twinning project. 2009.
- Promoted to Assistant Researcher: ARC, AHRI, RLQP, Biotechnology Unit, Dokki, Giza, Egypt. 2008.
- Analyst in serology and biotechnology unit, Reference Laboratory for Quality control in poultry production (RLQP), Animal Health Research Institute (AHRI), Agriculture Research Center (ARC), Cairo, Egypt
- French Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease, Avian and Rabbit Virology Immunology and Parasitology Unit (VIPAC), French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (Anses), Ploufragan, France (2015-2017):
Study the Phenotypic and Genetic Characterization of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza H5 viruses, including recent Egyptian and French H5N1 isolates, for better control and improved prediction of virulence. Technique used: (DNA cloning, gene sequencing, DNA immunization, bioinformatic analysis, molecular and classical virology, reverse genetics).Training on good laboratory practice (GLP) to be authorized to deal with pathogens able to infect human based on Agence nationale de sécurité du médicament et des produits de santé (ANSM) requirments.
- OIE Reference Laboratory for Infectious Bursal Disease (IBDV), VIPAC, Anses, Ploufragan, France (2015-2017)
Study the genetic, antigenic and evolution of newly emerged IBDV in Egypt under supervision of Prof. Nicolas Eterradossi the head of OIE reference laboratory of IBDV. Techniques used (real time and conventional PCR – Primer designs – antigen capture ELISA – full genome sequencing of IBDV – in vivo study of the virus pathogenicty - cloning of both virus segments on expression plasmid – virus isolation in tissue culture and in spf egg).
- Biotechnology Unit, Reference Laboratory for veterinary quality control of poultry production (RLQP), Animal Health Research Institute:
1- Share as authorized member of Biotechnology unit to follow up the technical and managemental requirements of ISO17025 in biotechnology unit.
2- Share in internal audite for other units (2008-2015).
3- Since 2009 i share in a team responsible for establishment of 6 satellite-accredited (ISO 17025) laboratories distributed all over Egypt (Luxor, El Fayoum, Sharkia, Ismalia, Gamasa and Alexandria) to test avian viral and bacterial diseases.
4- Deputy Head of the research group responsible for identify and characterize of newly emerged avian diseases with special reference to respiratory complex diseases (AIV-H5N1 and H9N2, NDV genotype VII , IB, IBDV and mycoplasmosis) using molecular techniques (real time and conventional PCR).
5- Evaluation of vaccines via quantification of pathogens shedding after vaccination and challenge and evaluation of avian immune response via quantification of avian cytokines.
Microbiology and immunology department, Misr university (2013-2015):
Teaching undergraduates courses of general microbiology and immunology in Misr University. Further supervise postgraduate practical parts of master and PhD thesis in the laboratory.
- Influenza and Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health (NIAH), National Agriculture and Food Research Organization (NARO),Tusukuba, Japan (2012-2013):
Doctoral Thesis research conducted under supervision of Prof. Dr. Takehiko Saito, under title “Molecular detection of avian cytokines in response to infection and immunization with Egyptian highly pathogenic avian influenza (H5N1) classical and variant strain” Technique used: (Quantification of Cytokines gene expression using Taq Real-Time PCR and ELISA, gene sequencing , viral isolation and experimental animal infection in Biosafety level 3 laboratory). Training on good laboratory practice (GLP) to be authorized for working in biosafety level 2 as well as biosafety level 3 laboratories.
- Biotechnology Unit, RLQP, AHRI, Egypt and Center for Tropical Research Institute of the Environment and Sustainability, University of California, Los Angeles (2009-2012):
I shared as the Egyptian contact person to organize the cooperation with Prof. Thomas B Smith and Dr. Kevin Y Najbo. to investigate the Dynamics of cross-species influenza transmission in 5 governorates in Egypt. Technique used: (sample collection from wild birds, Real Time PCR, viral isolation and gene sequencing).
- Biotechnology Unit, RLQP, AHRI, Giza, Egypt:
Master thesis research conducted with Dr. Soad Abd El aziz under title “Incidence and rapid detection of Clostridium perfringens infection in broiler.” Technique used: (Bacterial Isolation, Toxin typing by multiplex and uniplex conventional PCR, Quantification of intestinal Bacterial load by quantitative real time PCR).
- Expert in using Conventional and Real-Time RT PCR for diagnosis of avian virus and bacterial diseases.
- Expert in evaluation of avian vaccines efficiency.
- Expert in Gene sequencing, curation and phylogenetic analysis.
- Reverse genetic technique with special reference to avian influenza.
- In depth characterization of avian immune response via evaluation of cytokines mRNA gene expression
- Using Primary and cell line culture techniques for isolation and characterization of avian viral diseases.
- Avian virus isolation in specific pathogen free eggs.
- ELISA ,AGPT, HI and HA test.
- Using of gene bank tools to characterize the newly emerged pathogens.
- Familiar with using of different programs for sequence alignment, curation and then phylogenetic tree analysis as (MEGA6 – Bioedite, MAFFT, DNA star, IQ-TREE) in addition to evolution analysis as (BEAST analysis and Data Monkey)
- Using protein structure homology-modelling program as SWISS-MODEL program.
- Gene cloning and protein expression.
- SDS and immuneblotting techniques.
- Follow the recommendations of ISO 17025.
- Internal auditor of ISO 17025 for laboratory practicing.
- Sharing in the proficiency tests and inter-lab comparison tests come to the lab.
- Laboratory biosafety level 3 practicing.
List of publications:
- Ahmed Samy, M.K.Hassan, Eric N., Passcal M., Francios X., Nicolas Etraddosi (2017): Antigenic characterization of newly emerged French HPAI-H5 viruses with a characteristic immunogenic epitopes comparing to French ancestral strains. Under publication.
- Ahmed Samy, Celin C., Sebastian S. Francios X. Nicolas Etraddosi(2017):Molecular characterization and genetic evolution of very virulent Infectious Bursal Disease Viruses isolated from Egypt. Under publication.
- H.M. Abdallah, N. Alnaiemi, E.A. Reuland, B.B. Wintermans, A. Koek, A.M. Abdelwahab, A. Samy,K.W. Abdelsalam and C.M.J.E. Vandenbroucke-Grauls (2017): Fecal carriage of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-and carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Egyptian patients with community-onset gastrointestinal complaints: a hospital-based cross-sectional study. Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control (2017) 6:62 DOI 10.1186/s13756-017-0219-7
- Saad.A.M, Ahmed Samy*, Soliman M.A, Arafa.A, Zanaty.A, Hassan.M.K, Sultan.A.H, Bazid.A.I and Hussein.A.H (2017): Genotypic and pathogenic characterization of genotype VII Newcastle disease viruses isolated from commercial farms in Egypt and evaluation of heterologous antibody responses. Archive of virology (doi:10.1007/s00705-017-3336-y).
- Eman M. Farghaly, Ahmed Samy*, Heba Roshdy (2017): Wide Prevalence of Critically Important Antibiotic Resistance in Egyptian Quail Farms with Mixed Infections. Veterinary Sciences: Research and Reviews, 2(1): 6-10.
- Ahmed Samy, Wesam Mady, Naglaa M Haggag, Samah H. Hamoda, Ibtesam N. El Shamy, M.K.Hassan (2016): Immune-related gene expression in response to different strains of Egyptian low pathogenic H9N2 infection in chicken peripheral blood mononuclear cells. British Journal of Virology. http://dx.doi.org/10.17582/journal.bjv /2016.3.6.166.176 .
- Ahmed Samy , Mona I. El-Enbaawy, Ahmed A. El-Sanousi, Soad A.Nasef, El-Sayed M. Abd El-Whab , Hirokazu Hikono , Takehiko Saito (2016): Initiation and regulation of immune responses to immunization with whole inactivated vaccine prepared from two genetically and antigenically distinct lineages of Egyptian HPAI-H5N1. Archive of virology doi:10.1007/s00705 -016-2989-2.
- Kevin Yana Njabo , Linda Zanontian, Basma N. Sheta, Ahmed Samy, Shereen Galal, Rick Paik Schoenber And Thomas B Smith (2015): Living with avian FLU-Persistence of the H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza virus in Egypt. doi:10.1016/j.vetmic.2016.03.009.
- E.M. Abdelwhab, M.K. Hassan, A.S. Abdel-Moneim, M.M. Naguib , A. Mostafa, I.T.M. Hussein, A. Arafa, A.M. Erfan, W.H. Kilany, M.G. Agour, Z. El-Kanawati, H.A. Husseini, A.A. Selim, S. Kholousy, H. El-Naggar, E.F. El-Zoghby, A. Samy, et al.,(2016): Introduction and enzootic of A/H5N1 in Egypt: Virus evolution, pathogenicity and vaccine efficacy ten years on. Infection, Genetics and Evolution.. doi:10.1016/j.meegid.2016.02.023.
- Ahmed A. Samy, Mona I. El-Enbaawy, Ahmed A. El-Sanousi, Soad A. Nasef, Mahmoud M. Naguib, El-Sayed M.Abd El-Whab, Hirokazu Hikono and Takehiko Saito(2015): Different counteracting host immune responses to clade 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 Egyptian H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses in na¨ıve and vaccinated chickens. Vet. Micro. doi:10.1016/j.vetmic.2015.12.005.
- Arafa AS, Naguib MM, Luttermann C, Selim AA, Kilany WH, Hagag N, Samy A, Abdelhalim A, Hassan MK, Abdelwhab EM, Makonnen Y, Dauphin G, Lubroth J, Mettenleiter TC, Beer M, Grund C, Harder TC. Emergence of a novel cluster of influenza A(H5N1) virus clade 188.8.131.52 with putative human health impact in Egypt, 2014/15. Euro Surveill. 2015;20(13). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917. ES2015 .20.13.21085
- A.A. Samy ; M.I. El- Enbaawy; A.A. El-Sanousi; S.A. Abd El-Wanes; A.M. Ammar; H. Hikono and T. Saito (2015): In-vitro assessment of differential cytokine gene expression in response to infections with Egyptian classic and variant strains of highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza virus. doi:10.1016/j.ijvsm.2015.01.001.
- Samah E., Heba B. and Samy A. (2015): A Study On The Association Between Enterotoxigenic Potentiality And Antimicrobial Resistance In Bacteria Isolated From Avian Origins. Zag. Vet. J. 43(1) .60-77
- Basma M. Sheta, Trevon L. Fuller, Brenda Larison, Kevin Y. Njabo, Ahmed Samy Ahmed, Ryan Harrigan, Anthony Chasar, Soad Abdel Aziz, Abdel-Aziz A. Khidr, Mohamed M. Elbokl, Lotfy Z. Habbak, Thomas B. Smith (2014): Putative human and avian risk factors for avian influenza virus infections in backyard poultry in Egypt. Vet. Microbiol. 168(1):208-13. doi:10.1016/j.vetmic.2013.11.010
- M.K. Hassan, W.H. Kilany, E.M. Abdelwhab, A.S. Arafa, A. Selim, A.S. Ahmed, M. Samir, Y. Le Brun, Y. Jobre, M.M. Aly. (2012): Distribution of avian influenza H5N1 viral RNA in tissues of AI-vaccinated and unvaccinated contact chickens after experimental infection. Arch. Virol. 157(5):951-9. doi: 10.1007/s00705-012-1242-x