A. Personal Information:
• DR. QURBAN ALI C/o National Veterinary Laboratories, at NARC, Gate No. 2, Park Road, Islamabad, Pakistan. Tel: 9255108; Fax: 9255105; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Date of Birth: July 22, 1957, Quetta, Pakistan
B. Academic Qualification
Ph D. (Microbiology) Department of Microbiology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow UK 1993
DVM University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan 1980
C. Work Experience: (Starting with most recent position)
1. Chief Veterinary Officer (Animal Husbandry Commissioner) Ministry of National Food Security & Research, Government of Pakistan 07-05-2014 to 21-07-2017 (3 years 2 months)
2. Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Livestock & Dairy Development Board, Ministry of National Food Security & Research 07-10-2013 to 21-07-2017 (3 years 9 months)
3. Director General, National Veterinary Laboratories, Ministry of National Food Security & Research, Islamabad 28-10-2011 21-07-2017 5 years 9 months
4. Principal Scientific Officer, National Veterinary Laboratories, Islamabad, 29-5-2003 to 27-10-2011 ( 9 Years 5 months)
5. Senior Scientific Officer, National Veterinary Laboratories, Islamabad, 26-6-2002 to 28-5-2003 (1 Year 3months)
6. Assistant Disease Investigation Officer, Veterinary Research Institute, Quetta, 1-03-2000 to 18-6-2002 (2 Years 3 months)
7. Veterinary Officer (Research), Vaccine Production Unit, Veterinary Research Institute, Quetta 20-7-1993 to 29-2-2000 (6 Years 7 months)
8. PhD Scholar of Ministry of Science & Technology; Govt: of Pakistan, Department of Microbiology, University of Glasgow Glasgow, UK, 1-10-1988 to 26-6-1993, (4 Years 9 months)
9. Veterinary Officer (Research), Vaccine Production Unit, Quetta, 24-2-1983 to 30-9-1988 (5 Years 7 months)
Veterinary Officer (Research) Beef Production Research Center, Sibi, 16-06-1980 to 23-2-1983 (2 Years 8 months)
Policy, Development & Administration: As head of Livestock Wing, responsible for national policies, administration and decisions related to livestock sector’s regulatory control, trade, animal health and production besides overall sectoral development. Advocacy, communication and coordination with high level policy makers on national livestock development agenda and technical backstopping of lower formations.
International & Regional Contribution: Actively participated and carry forward development agenda of OIE, FAO, WHO, WTO, Codex Alimentarius, APHCA, SAARC, ECO, EU and USDA; Interacted with trading partners and other stakeholders for promotion of regional and international trade. Concluded bilateral agreements for trade and international technical cooperation for poverty reduction and improved livelihood as envisaged in SDGs. Contributed to Animal & Aquatic Health Codes of OIE. Advocacy for institutionalizing One-Health approach to address global issues such as AMR, Rabies, other zoonosis and food safety. Conducted multiple inspections of pharmaceutical and biological manufacturing units in various countries as part of regulatory requirement prior to import in Pakistan. Follow up of national PCPs on TADs, OIE-PVS, and JEE-WHO. Contributed to develop recommendations of regional PCPs, and effective veterinary services aiming zero hunger, food security and poverty reduction. Contributed significantly to SAARC CVOs Forum.
Technical: Established National Veterinary Laboratories at Islamabad having salient components on animal disease diagnostics, surveillance, vaccine quality control, residues and drug analysis and training and refreshers to meet WTO, SPS requirements. Developed contingency and strategic plans for priority TADs (FMD, PPR, HPAI, RP). Developed project, coordinated provincially and internationally, monitored for performance and evaluated for their impact; imparted trainings and organized national international meetings, workshops and exhibitions; collected, collated and analyzed data; advised drugs/ vaccines regulatory control authority of Pakistan as expert member; assisted development and improvement of Vaccine Production Unit at Veterinary Research Institute, Maputo, Mozambique as international consultant.
Research & Teaching: Visiting faculty of microbiology, biological quality control and quality assurance at three national universities. Author to more than 50 research manuscripts/ technical reports published nationally and internationally. Worked as research fellow on veterinary vaccines at George August University Gottingen, Germany. Supervised/ Co-supervised more than a dozen post graduate studies. Won research productivity award of government of Pakistan for 2011.
E. Distinguished Memberships:
• Member, Board of Governors at Centre for Advanced Studies in Vaccinology and Biotechnology, University of Balochistan and Government of Balochistan, Quetta
• Expert Member, Drug Registration Board, Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP)
• Director, Board of Directors, Livestock & Dairy Development Board, Pakistan
• Member, Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council
• Member Pakistan Veterinary Medical Association
F. Project Handled and Coordinated:
• Establishment of National Veterinary Laboratories, Islamabad; National Reference on TADs, vaccine quality control, disease surveillance, residue and drug testing and trainings.
• Worked as Associate/ Partner/ Component of:
(i) GCP/PAK/088/EC - Support for Emergency Prevention and Control of Main Transboundary Animal Diseases in Pakistan (Rinderpest, FMD, PPR) – Diagnostics and Surveillance System was established and strengthened
(ii) GTFS/INT/907/ITA – Support to control TADs – Increased awareness and built technical capacity of regional (Central Asian Republics) and national formations
(iii) SLSP (Strengthening of Livestock Services Project - Eradication of Rinderpest from Pakistan; EU funded; 8 years) - Pakistan got freedom from rinderpest.
(iv) NPCPAI (National Program for the Control and Prevention of Avian Influenza; Government of Pakistan funded; 5 years)-Pakistan successfully controlled HAPI incursions.
• Worked as Institutional Coordinator/ Project Component In-charge for the project:
(i) NAPHIS (National Animal & Plant Health Inspection Services Project; Government of Pakistan funded; 8 years)-strengthened NVL in terms of manpower, equipment and training needs;
(ii) GCP/Pak/123/USA (Progressive Control of FMD in Pakistan; USDA funded, FAO implemented; 3 years)-Pakistan moved to stage-2 of FMD-PCP besides implementation of effective surveillance system;
(iii) Project Director (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE - Mad Cow Disease) Surveillance and Capacity Leading to OIE Negligible Risk Country Status for Pakistan; 7 years)- moved a step forward to get BSE negligible risk status for Pakistan;
(iv) GCP/Pak/127/USA (Control of PPR in Pakistan; USDA funded, FAO implemented; 3 years)- Developed PPR eradication strategy to implement PPR global eradication program.
G. Relevant Courses/ Trainings Attended
• Attended multiple national and international courses/ trainings including National Senior Management Course (SMC – 22 week) for promotion to executive positions and Study Tours (USA – Winrock International, Food Safety Agency Canada, and IAEA Fellowship at Food safety Institute of Bio-sciences, Belfast, UK).
• Participated > 50 National/ International Meetings/ Conferences/ Workshops and Official Meetings as National Representation
H. Countries visited: India, Nepal, Srilanka, Bhutan, Iran, Turkey, UK, USA, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Russia, Belarus, Lithuania, France, Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Egypt, Mozambique, Ivory coast, Newzealand, and Australia.